Pages

Tuesday 22 January 2013

Pocket Warmers

For my first Stashbusting Sewalong project I have committed to I made pocket warmersThese probably would have been a really great thing to make before Christmas for gifts, but there just wasn't the time. The last term has been very hectic and coming back to Brighton after my unusually long holiday at home this year is very different and I felt inspired to tackle my ever-growing pinterest list. Short projects really appeal to me as I never have enough time and I can get these done in an afternoon.  They were super easy and I quickly made three pairs, one already gifted to my Aunt. I used some Cath Kidston squares I ordered a while back which are so tiny it was difficult to find anything to do with them. 

You will need:
Fabric scraps
Pencil/fabric marker
Thread
Rice
Pinking shears

Draw a circle on one of your pieces of fabric with a fabric marker or pencil.


Place your chosen fabrics right side out and sew around the circle leaving a small opening for the rice. Using a funnel or jug pour rice into your pouch (mine were about 5/6 full).


Sew the gap closed then cut around the sewn circle with pinking shears.




These will be great gifts next Christmas!

24 comments:

  1. How sweet are these?? And very simple but very handy to have:)

    Just dropping in to follow:)

    Have an awesome day!

    PS I am on my way to check out your Jake Daniels Cake:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drop by some time:)
      http://www.myturnforus.com/2013/01/lets-get-social-4.html

      Delete
    2. Yes a great short project :) Thanks! I've taken a look at yours and already joined, looking forward to keeping up!

      Delete
  2. I am so in need of some of these when I stand outside at work to do bus duty. These would really help keep me warm. Visiting from White Lights on Wednesday!
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a cute idea. I have a link party called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop and would love to have you share this and any other posts with everyone. It runs from Tuesday night through midnight Sunday. Here is the link to the party.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2013/01/wednesdays-adorned-from-above-blog-hop_22.html
    Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'll visit your party now :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, those are adorable. Definitely saving this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely love this idea - freezing cold here at the moment, so I am definitely going to try this out.

    Kate x
    http://www.kateathome.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Freezing cold everywhere it seems! Maybe I should have a giveaway they are proving pretty popular ;)

      Delete
  6. Genius idea! I've made rice socks before but never thought of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even know what rice socks are - is it the obvious thing? Glad to help out!

      Delete
  7. Can you add something do they can smell good?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! You can add a few drops of essential oil to the rice before you put it in the fabric :)

      Delete
  8. How do you heat these??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stick them in the microwave for 15-30 seconds depending on the strength of your microwave - test which time works best. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Thank you! These will keep our hands warm in the hospital during our clinicals. :)

      Delete
    3. I'm so glad :) thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. Just found this on pinterest, adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Darling!! How long will it stay warm?

    ReplyDelete