Pages

Sunday 24 March 2013

Guinness Bread

Last Sunday on St. Patrick's day I decided to make something I had had pinned for a while - Guinness Bread. I found the recipe on the Black Peppercorn. The recipe was ridiculously easy for bread, no kneading, no waiting just some mixing and you're there! I was a little skeptical but I can't tell you how delicious this turned out! It's quite sweet so if you are looking to make more of a savoury bread I would half the sugar.


Guiness Bread
Makes one loaf
3 C plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder
1/3 C oats + 1 tbsp
2/3 C dark brown sugar
340ml Guinness
1 tbsp butter

Preheat oven to 175C/350F and grease a loaf pan with the butter. 
Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, 1/3 C oats and brown sugar. Slowly beat the Guinness into the dry ingredients using an electric mixer on a low setting. Make sure it is not lumpy but do not over-mix.
Pour the batter in the greased loaf try and sprinkle the 1 tbsp of oats on top. 
Bake the bread for 50-60 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Place on a cooling rack at room temperature.

I wouldn't recommend this bread not toasted as it is a little heavy but toasted with butter it is so delicious! It says you can use any type of beer with this recipe so I foresee a range of beer breads in the near future!



*If you are looking for a slightly healthier option, I have also tried this bread with 1C wholemeal flour and 2C plain white and there is little difference.

**I have since tried this with London Pride instead of Guinness and it worked great! It was even a little sweeter than with Guinness and didn't rise quite as much but again toasted with butter is so delicious.

14 comments:

  1. mmmm Hging that looks so good... Maybe I'll have to make this when I'm back in Canada and craving some Ireland :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm making my third loaf of the week now! It is SO GOOD. I crave it for breakfast every morning now haha!

      Delete
  2. I gotta try this. I love all kinds of bread. I have heard of making bread with beer and now I have a recipe for it. Thanks so much for sharing.
    Darlene
    http://darlenebnemeth.blogspot.ca/2012/08/day-26-magically-transform-mistakes.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! Let me know how yours goes!

      Delete
  3. This looks SO delicious. Will def. be trying this!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing - I am trying to make more of my own bread and really like this idea, I will definitely have to try it.

    Stopping by from Marvellous Mondays, hope you have a lovely day.

    Kate x
    http://www.kateathome.com/how-did-we-ever-manage/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easy, I barely want to go back to kneading or waiting! Thank you!

      Delete
  5. This looks really great! I saw this on Marvelous Mondays. I would love it if you would share on my site: http://rediscovermom.blogspot.com/2013/03/tried-and-true-recipes-5.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shared, and you have a new follower! Thanks!

      Delete
  6. I am excited to co-host this weeks marvelous mondays link up. What a fab idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds delicious! I love anything that involves Guinness, so I'm definitely going to try it. Found you over at Nanny to Mommy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Hope yours works out well!

      Delete